Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to third sexual assault charge

0
10


Harvey Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to a third charge of sexual assault.

The Hollywood producer is already facing two sexual assault charges from two separate women dating back to 2004 and 2013.

He also denies those claims.

The Hollywood producer had his handcuffs removed during the hearing
Image:
The Hollywood producer had his handcuffs removed during the hearing

Dressed in a black suit jacket and tie, Weinstein appeared in court in Manhattan to hear the new charges on Monday.

The 66-year-old was brought into New York state Supreme Court wearing handcuffs, but he was uncuffed during proceedings.

He has now been released on bail.

The new charges include two counts of predatory sexual assault, which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R Vance Jr said Weinstein described the charges as “some of the most serious sexual offences” that exist under state law.

The disgraced mogul’s lawyer, Ben Brafman, said he expects more charges to follow, but added: “Today we won this round.”

A lawyer for the third woman, Gloria Allred, said her client will testify if the case goes to trial.

More than 70 women have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct ranging from harassment to assault, with the scandal sparking the #MeToo movement.

More from Harvey Weinstein

Weinstein’s lawyer has previously challenged the credibility of his alleged victims and says his client is confident he is going to clear his name.

The mogul was fired as chief executive of the Weinstein Company after the allegations emerged last year, and his wife is in the process of divorcing him.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here